Kiron wordbook


Navigator » Wordbook
Blended Learning 2.0

The academic model of mixing online and offline education is called blended learning. Kiron students start their studies online and finish at a university offline.

MOOCs are usually self-paced or ‘asynchronous’, which means students can study on their own and in their own time. In order to provide more personalized learning experiences for our students, Kiron is offering additional live online tutorials (Direct Academics) where students can discuss with tutors and other students (‘synchronous’).

Because it combines digital (synchronous-asynchronous) and traditional blending (online-offline), we call the educational program behind this Blended Learning 2.0.


The word curriculum refers to the sum of student experiences that happen in the educational process.

The study tracks at Kiron are formed by core curricula: select courses are bundled into modules on the basis of learning outcomes. Those curricula meet the standards of the European Higher Education Area EHEA.

European Framework of Reference for Languages

In Europe, language ability is measured through a common system of levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, and C2.  

  • A1 level represents a beginner with a basic understanding of the language
  • A2 is considered a pre-intermediate level by which the user can hold very basic conversations
  • B1 level is able to understand main points of clear text and can speak simple sentences about familiar topics
  • B2 is upper-intermediate and can understand and produce more complex text
  • C1 is an advanced level
  • C2 is near native-speaker to native speaker

More info here.

Direct Academics

Direct Academics are additional live online tutorials for select MOOCs.

While taking online courses at Kiron, students have the freedom to set their own study schedule. However, MOOCs usually do not include live sessions, and students do not get any direct contact with the professor or their peers.

In the Direct Academics tutorials, students can discuss the course material with academics and professionals as well as as other students in small groups.

ECTS Credit Points

The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System is the standardized measure of higher education courses across the European Union and other collaborating European countries. A Bachelor’s degree is a total of at least 180 ECTS Credits and usually takes six semesters to complete.


The European Higher Education Area represents a group of 50 countries that work together to make sure that the standards and quality of higher education qualifications are comparable.  It also promotes the internationalization of Higher Education Institutions (HEI) in Europe. 

Kiron Credit Points

Kiron Credit Points or Kiron Credits is a measure of workload completed, which is similar to the ECTS Credits that European universities use.

Every Kiron CP symbolises around 25 hours of workload that students have to put into their studies.

Kiron Navigator

Your are using part of the Kiron Navigator right now!  It is an information platform and a tool that will help you learn about Kiron and what it has to offer. It can also help you decide if you should apply.

One part of the Navigator contains general information about Kiron, your study options in different locations as well as the requirements.

Another part of the Navigator is a self-assessment. It is a tool that helps you learn and reflect about your possible student experience at Kiron by asking you questions. It will help you decide if Kiron offers what you want.

Back to Navigator start page

Kiron Campus

Kiron Campus is the online platform for students where they can find the study planner, prep courses, language courses, forum, and other student services.

Watch this short video to get a first impression of the Kiron Campus.

<iframe src=”;autoplay=0” frameborder=” width=”560″ height=”315″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>


A module is a part of a student’s educational experience. Kiron’s study tracks consist of several modules which again are made up of several online courses/ MOOCs. Those courses all add to broader learning goals in a subject.


MOOC is short for Massive Open Online Course. MOOCs and online courses are words often used to mean the same thing at Kiron. MOOCs are presented on platforms that offer thousands of interesting courses on various topics. Kiron reviews hundreds of MOOCs to find the best and combines them into so-called “modules. The MOOCs are usually designed by leading universities such as Harvard, Stanford or MIT. The teaching language is mostly English. Kiron is working together with MOOC platforms such as Coursera, EdX, Saylor Academy, FutureLearn, BeeUp, Rwaq, Openclassrooms, FUN, Sharing Perspectives Foundation, and Udacity.

Partner University

Partner universities have agreed to work together with Kiron on the recognition of prior learning. After the successful application of a Kiron student at a partner university, the university can award up to 60 ECTS credits for completed Kiron modules

Transferring to a partner university will make it easier for our students to get their Kiron Credits recognized.

However, the agreements between Kiron and its partner universities are non-legally binding. The universities ultimately decide whether the student will obtain admission and get credit recognition.

Transcript of Records (ToR)

A Transcript of Records is used to document the performance of a student over a certain period of time by listing the courses or modules taken, the credits gained, and the grades awarded. The Transcript of Records provides a standard format for recording all study activities carried out by students. It is an essential tool for academic recognition in the EHEA.

Transfer (only for Germany, Jordan, Lebanon)

Transfer at Kiron describes the process of Kiron students changing from the initial online study phase into the on-campus phase to finish their Bachelor’s degree. The transfer process has two steps: (1) applying to a university and getting accepted as a student; (2) applying for the recognition of the Kiron Credit Points. In order to successfully apply, Kiron students have to meet the requirements of the university that they want to enroll at. Kiron does not guarantee placement at a university.  Kiron itself does not award degrees.

Transferring to a partner university makes it easier for our students to finish their degree faster because partner universities have agreed to recognize Kiron Credit Points.

Transfer support is only available in focus countries.

Recognition in Germany

Recognition means to compare a qualification or a degree from another country with one from Germany. In Germany, there is recognition for:

  • Foreign school qualifications (for example, a secondary school-leaving certificate)
    • Recognition is required if you want to study in Germany.
    • The competent bodies are listed in the anabin database 
    • Recognition of school-leaving certificates for admission to higher education is the responsibility of the universities 
  • Academic degrees
    • For most academic professions, you do not need recognition of your foreign degree to work in Germany. Recognition is necessary for certain professions, for example doctor, lawyer, teacher, pharmacist.
  • Professional qualifications


University entrance qualification in Germany ("HZB")

“Hochschulzugangsberechtigung” or short HZB in German means (legally) having the necessary qualification to study at German university. There are different possibilities of getting a HZB. Most people in Germany get it by finishing upper secondary education (“Abitur”) but there are other ways of obtaining it. International university applicants who did not finish upper secondary school in Germany need to have checked out if their school-leaving certificate is equivalent to an “Abitur” and thereby a “Hochschulzugangsberechtigung”.