What is online learning?
Kiron’s online course catalogue consists of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs).
What is a MOOC?
MOOC is short for Massive Open Online Course.
It’s a course of study that is
- massive: designed for a lot of participants
- open: participants don’t have to be enrolled in a university
- online: available via the Internet
This short video explains what MOOCs are and how they work.
Types of MOOCs: live & self-paced
At Kiron, you will encounter two types of MOOCs:
- Fixed start dates and regular live sessions
- More interaction with other students and professor
- Slower progress, but steady amount of work every week
- Start at any time you want
- Work through the given material on your own schedule
- No weekly exams
- Manage your study time which gives you flexibility
Opportunities & challenges of online studying
The advantages of studying online also create some of the biggest challenges for online learners.
- Most courses are self-paced. You can study at any time.
- You are responsible for your own progress. You need to be organized and disciplined.
Studying remotely at home:
- You can participate in courses from anywhere.
- Interaction with other students and professors is limited. You need to motivate yourself.
- You have to organize your own study space.
Kiron Campus: your study platform
On Kiron Campus, you can find all the courses available to you. The platform always recommends the next course you should take in order to progress quickly through your studies.
All the courses on the platform are presented in modules. This makes it much easier to plan your studies.
Watch this short video to get a first impression of the Kiron Campus.
How does Kiron support you in your online studies?
Kiron is aware that studying online can be challenging. Here are some of the services and programs we offer to support our students:
- Help Center: student email support and self-help tool with frequently asked questions
- Forum: an online place to interact and exchange with other Kiron students
- Direct Academics: live online tutorials for small groups of students for selected MOOCs taught by academics and professionals
- 1:1 Support: direct online support