How Kiron works
What is Kiron?
Kiron Open Higher Education is a non-profit organization supporting access to higher education for refugees and asylum seekers.
- Kiron is free of charge for refugees and asylum seekers.
- Kiron is a learning opportunity, but it is not a university.
- With Kiron you can get certificates from our course providers for individual courses, but no degree
How do I study at Kiron?
Kiron offers access to online courses in five study tracks:
- Computer Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Business & Economics
- Social Work
- Political Science
But Kiron also offers two short programs:
- Google IT Support Certificate
- Living in a Digital World
Kiron’s services are available to students all over the world. The type of services and support that is available, however, depends on where students are located. Kiron has more service offerings in the countries where it has offices – Germany, Jordan, and Lebanon.
Please note that unfortunately Kiron cannot:
- provide you with a degree
- support you with visa application or process
- give you direct financial aid
You can study with Kiron for as long as you like – there are no time requirements or commitments. You can also decide to take a break and then come back- because our study offer is online, there is no limit on the number of students we can enrol.
Here are the requirements to study online with Kiron:
- You have a document proving that you are currently a refugee, asylum seeker or displaced person.
- You have access to the Internet.
- You have access to a computer or tablet (studying with a smartphone is not recommended, it may be even more challenging).
- You have at least a B1 level of English: the vast majority of the courses offered are in English, and it is important that you can understand them.
- You have some time and commitment to study.
When you apply, please upload any proof you have of your status as a refugee, asylum seeker or displaced person. We check the documents regularly and will get back to you if we need more information.
You can easily apply using these instructions. We review applications regularly, but please be patient if you don’t hear from us immediately – it may take us up to two weeks.
How much does it cost?
Your online studies with Kiron are free of charge.
For your offline studies there might be costs for application, enrolment and tuition fees charged by the universities.