University Application

What do I need to apply to a university in Germany?
The German higher education system is known for its formal and diversified admission criteria for public and private universities. In order to transfer to a German university, you need to fulfill the admission criteria of the university you are applying to.

General requirements for international applicants (Bachelor’s programs):

  1. Higher education entrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung “HZB”)
  2. Certificate of German language proficiency at C1 level (min. B2 for application)
  3. Other criteria depending on the specific study track, for example, an internship

The number of spots is limited. Kiron students do not transfer automatically. 

Your legal status also has implications, especially with regard to financial supports.

More information about studying in Germany.

How can I find out if I am eligible to study?
1. Try to find public university programs that interest you and check their prerequisites.Contact the International Office or Student Services of the university for more info and personal guidance counseling. 

Alternatively, check out the general educational guidance counseling offers of, for example, JMDGFH or MBE (if you are older than 27). 

2. Check the anabin database (via uniassist) to get a first idea how your school-leaving certificate is recognized in Germany.


More info about studying in Germany here.

What can I study?
Kiron offers the following study tracks to prepare for transfer

  • Business & Economics
  • Computer Science
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Political Science
  • Social Work
Where can I study?

You can apply to any university where you are eligible to study, not only Kiron partners.

Kiron is cooperating with the following universities regarding credit recognition where you can finalize your Bachelor’s degree if your field of study is given and you get accepted as a student. Kiron is supporting you in the two-step transfer process:

(1) get accepted as a student and

(2) get the Kiron Credits recognized.

Kiron does not guarantee a placement at a university.

Note: You don’t need a certain amount of credits to transfer to any university. However, we recommend taking Kiron courses in order to stay involved in your field of interest or to explore new academic fields that you are not familiar with while you wait for your university application to be processed.

Partner universities in Germany

Alanus Hochschule

Alice Salomon Hochschule Berlin

Bard College Berlin

BAU Hochschule Berlin

BBW Hochschule

Fachhochschule Aachen

Fachhochschule Bielefeld

Fachhochschule Münster

HNE Eberswalde

Hochschule Fresenius

Hochschule Heilbronn

Hochschule Rhein-Waal

HWR Berlin

Katholische Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt

Leuphana Universität Lüneburg

RWTH Aachen

Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt

Technische Hochschule Köln

Technische Hochschule Lübeck

Technische Hochschule Wildau

Technische Universität Hamburg-Harburg

TU Clausthal

Universität Bayreuth

Universität Bielefeld

Universität Kassel

Universität Witten/Herdecke

University of Paderborn

University of Rostock