Alternatives to Kiron
Studying towards a Bachelor’s degree with Kiron is not the only way to get a degree or access the job market in Germany.
I want to get a professional degree.
For a lot of jobs, you do not need to study at a university to get the qualification.
Germany is well-known for the high quality of its vocational training (“Ausbildung”). Usually, you go to school and work in a company at the same time to learn one of more than 400 official professions, from Kindergarten teacher to IT systems electronic technician.
Why do an Ausbildung?
- Access barriers (e.g. language, qualifications) are lower than for university
- Trainees often already get paid during their education
- It can be easier to secure your stay in Germany for the duration of the training, and afterwards.
- Learning is more practical/ hands-on
Some more reasons for doing a vocational training.
Check out this online tool for orientation in the professional system in Germany (currently in Arabic, Farsi and German).
I want to get a Master’s degree or a PhD.
Kiron only offers courses on a Bachelor’s level. Kiron does not offer any Master’s or PhD level courses.
If you want to start a Master’s or PhD degree, please check the database Hochschulkompass.
If you found a program, check with the university offering the program if your degree is recognized as such in Germany. For a first overview you can check the anabin database.
I have a degree and I want to work right away.
- Find out if you need official recognition to work in the chosen profession
Recognition means to compare a qualification/ degree from another country with one from Germany.
Recognition is possible for
- School leaving certificates
- Professional degree
- and certain academic degrees
For example: If you have a Bachelor’s in Business you can apply for jobs directly with your (translated) certificate.
2. Find out how your degree is recognized
For example: If you went to a professional school for 2 years you might get partial recognition and need to add some more classes/ work experience.
Click here for more info on how to find work in Germany.
I want to work right away (without a degree).
More info on how to find work in Germany.
I am not sure what I want to do.
Some ideas how to get started
- Explore your interests and option with a general educational counseling provided locally by JMD/ GFH or MBE (if you are older than 27). Alternatively, use the study guidance counseling offers of universities.
- Do online research about options and requirements
- Take one of these higher education orientation tests