The Kiron Idea
If you were not a refugee would you be studying right now?
Kiron is a social startup that wants to help refugees access higher education free of charge. Kiron wants to provide a bridge for refugees or asylum seekers to continue or begin studying at a university-level.
Kiron’s idea: start your studies right away with online courses and finish your Bachelor’s degree later offline at one of our partner universities.
Kiron's Academic Model: How Does It Work?
This is the Kiron idea in a nutshell. Most importantly, there are two phases in the Kiron study plan: an online and offline phase. This is approach can be referred to as blended learning.
Steps in the typical Kiron student journey
I. ONLINE PHASE:
Continue or begin your online studies…
- choose one of five study tracks
- or take prep(aratory) courses first and
- improve your foreign language skills with our language courses
- while preparing formal access to the higher education system of your host country (e.g. defined legal status, language skills)
- receive a Transcript of Records for completed courses
II. OFFLINE PHASE:
…finish studying on-campus at a partner university:
Online and offline phase of your studies have different requirements that need to be met if you want to pursue a Bachelor’s degree from a university. Kiron supports your transfer process to our partner universities.
Global ONLINE requirements for starting your studies with Kiron
- Proof that you are refugee (list of accepted documents)
- Regular access to the internet and a computer/ tablet (or smartphone)
- Completion of the onboarding process
- English language skills (B2 level recommended)
Free of charge
Local OFFLINE requirements for finishing your degree at a partner university
Further requirements are set individually by universities in accordance with local laws and other authorities, for example
- Higher education entrance qualification (e.g. a recognized secondary school-leaving certificate)
- Certified language skills
- A legal status that allows you to study (e.g. residence permit, proof of asylum status)
- Willingness to move to the location of our partner universities (if applicable)
Additional costs for application and enrollment may be charged