Department Coordinator Computer Sciences
Start: February 2018, limited until October 2018, with the possibility of prolongation until January 2019 (parental leave replacement),
Location: Berlin (or potentially Munich)
Working hours: 30h/week (or potentially full-time)
The job ad is also available in German: Studiengangskoordinator/-in Informatik
Kiron Open Higher Education (gGmbH) is a non-profit organization founded in 2015 with the mission to enable access to higher education and successful learning for refugees through digital solutions. As part of an innovative educational model Kiron offers coherent curricula using MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) from partner platforms like Coursera and edX so that refugees can start studying regardless of their status. Courses are mostly provided in English, completely free of charge for the students, and all accessible via our learning platform Kiron Campus. Through strong partnerships with accredited universities worldwide, students have the opportunity to finish their program with a regular bachelor’s degree.
Today, a team of 70 employees receives further support from about 400 volunteers worldwide and a competence pool consisting of experts from relevant fields, such as professors, psychologists and business specialists.
For the support of a joint research project subsidised by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research investigating the study success of refugee students in digital higher education, from February 2018 a job as a research associate for the position as Department Coordinator for Computer Sciences with a focus on support in transfer processes is offered.
Opportunities & Responsibilities
- Coordinate the study track of computer science.
- Enhance Kiron’s MOOC-based core curricula and support the development of quality assurance measures for digital curricula.
- Develop equivalence/matching tables for our study tracks in close collaboration with faculty members from German and international Kiron partner universities.
- Accompany the development of new interdisciplinary study tracks.
- Explore scalability through automation of evaluation and feedback for courses and modules, and work out subject specific issues for exam organization and creation in digital settings.
- Work together with our partner universities and other Kiron didactic teams on the production of new online courses.
Your set of skills
- You have at least a master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or an equivalent qualification in a similar field of study, ideally you have a PhD.
- You bring at least 2 years of work experience in higher education (university teaching or coordination of course of studies).
- You can prove teaching/pedagogical proficiency (e.g., through training).
- You are business proficient in German and English (at least C1 CEFR level).
- Ideally you have experience in working with third party projects and have developed study courses for higher education institutions.
- You have an affinity or experience in working with disadvantaged students and in the work with digital educational instruments (MOOCs, for example).
- The opportunity to shape a social organisation with your initiative and creative input.
- A remuneration following salary group 13 of TVöD according to qualification and work experience.
- The atmosphere of an innovative and fast-growing social startup, and the chance to be part of a dynamic, international, and interdisciplinary team.
- Flexible working hours at our beautiful location in Berlin.
As an equal opportunities employer, Kiron strongly encourages people with a refugee background and women to apply. The position is suitable for people living with a disability. In case of two equally qualified candidates, preference will be given to the candidate living with disability.
Ready to join our mission? Apply now!
We are looking forward to your application via e-mail with the subject “IF + your name”. Include your cover letter, CV and availability in English in a single PDF file until the 30th of November.
The job does not fit your profile? Kiron is currently recruiting many different positions, and many volunteering / internship opportunities.